Sunday, October 29, 2006

Seen lots of Films (as always) of late:
Flags of our Fathers - very interesting well made movie -Clint Eastwards attempt at 'Saving Private Ryan' (sometimes the cinematography is is too similar!) - perhaps also a try for best picture Oscar! Disturbing revelations of how the archetypal war image -the raising of the flag on Iowa Jima - was a set piece PR job!
Marie Antoinette - excellent period piece - seems to favour using contemporary music to contextualize a bit like A Knights Tale. Sophia Capolla is perhaps using her own experience as a member of one of Hollywoods aristocratic families to help explain the social dislocation that the young Queen experiences and so placing her more in the victims role than that of the villian.
Man of the Year - much underrated Robin Williams political comedy (I find the Film Critics -including Mr Barry Norman rarely get it right with regards to comedies)- interesting vision of what Younger People are looking for in the political process.
Broken Trail - Fantastic 'salvation story' from the Wild West - Robert Duvals final part in the 'unrelated trilogy' of Western epics ( Lonesome Dove and Open Range being the other two). This 'made for DVD' film is a beauty!
Mike
Ps I will try and bring more of my film watching exploits to the blog ( I probably watch 60 movies a year!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought you sounded a bit posh aunty sal!!!then i read the bit at the bottom!!
:)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Just checked the blogs for the first time in 4 days and you have posted, Mike! Welcome to the world of blogging!!

I regret to say I haven't seen any of those films! Though we're part of a DVD through the mail ($10 AUD a month!) club so I'll add those to the list (when they come out!).

We did see Little Miss Sunshine last week and recognised I17 and that spaghetti junction there have (as it crosses the 101 maybe?)! Jo & I were the only people laughing in the cinema through the film - I don't think many other people here 'got it'. I just thought the beauty competition was plain scary - the kids look wrong!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home